Friday 12 August 2011

The First Three Years-Frank Turner


It’s kind of a faux-par for me; best of albums. They just look wrong in your collection and you don’t quite get to see how the band develops as an artist. Then again, I’m not really trying to sell Frank Turner as an artist. Far more than just a musician Frank Turner is a personality, a nice guy who sings songs. That’s not to say he can’t sing, on tracks like “Worst Things Happen At Sea” he both intimately moans and passionately screams. Frank sums himself up better than anyone on “Nashville Tennesse”; “Yes I play in 4/4 time, yes I right cheap, cheap rhymes . . . but I try to make them sound my own”.  It’s this sentiment that sums him up the best.
Frank’s style is modest, ever so British folk, but not in the clichéd, tired sense normally associated with the genre. He’s an ex-punk, charming, honest bloke who sings about politics, society and love. “Thatcher Fucked The Kids” manages to be catchy as Mr. Turner fits the best part of a politics essay in between the chorus’. Elsewhere on “I Really Don’t Care What You Did On Your Gap” he shows a sharp sense of humour and the album highlight “Photosynthesis” is a roaring, fun ode to youth and rock and roll.
So why a “best of” instead of his finest album? Because that’s the greatest way to prepare you for seeing him live. He frequently tours the U.K and the warmth and fun in his shows makes him one of my favourite live acts. No jokes, the way the whole crowd embraced middle class rebellion and sung their hearts out was great, I easily rate him up there with Slipknot, and he didn’t buy a busload of theatrics.
I can’t say I entirely agree with his views all of the time, but it’s nice to have an artist whose views I can disagree with. The man has a talent for writing great songs, I’m looking forward to his inevitable song on the riots, but in the time being his live show and albums will tide me over.    

No comments:

Post a Comment